Monday, October 30, 2006

A few insights....(or procrastination by writing blogs)

I changed my lay out and lost all of my links! Do you like this one better, or the old one? Let me know before I put in the effort to make all the links again.

This week I have to behave myself and be more serious about life. I have a big paper and an exam to get through, so no more pranking around...for a few days at least.
Today I realized how much this place (my apartment) is starting to feel like home, and it's a feeling I enjoy. This afternoon I went to the grocery store and checked out my goods with a lady I have gotten to know a bit in there, who was born in the SAME HOSPITAL AS ME IN ENGLAND! Isn't that great? We have a bond that goes back a long way..actually, our entire lives.......
I finally got a bike to ride to Tyndale, and proceeded to venture down the big steep Bayview hill today with Lory on the back, clinging on for dear life!! Lory is one of my wonderful room mates. She is Ecuadorian, but grew up in Canada. I love hearing her speaking on the phone to her Mom in the most beautiful Spanish. She had never ridden a bike before today, so she was very brave to climb aboard!
(After one day of biking to school, Lory couldn't sit down from the pain, and I had to take a bath to ease my aching body. I know...we are pathetic)

I am reading two marvellous books right now, neither of which are anything to do with school, but I can't put them down. One is The Poisonwood Bible, upon high recomendation from various people, including Beth Johnston, whose opinion I trust immensely. The other is Captivating, a book I have heard talk of for quite some time. I find myself underlining stuff on almost every page so far.


April is another of my fantastic room mates, and she is half Cambodian. I also love listening to her on the phone with HER Mom, speaking in Khmer (pronnounced Cumai). I am jealous that these girls grew up bilingual! Today April and I happened to see our 'groundskeeper' Wally, wheeling cart after cart of stuff over to the garbage dump outside our apartment building. Being the broke-barely-any-furniture-apartment-renters that we are, we leapt over our balcony (don't worry, we live on the ground floor) and ran to see what treasures we could steal. 15 minutes later we were the proud owners of a beautiful TV cabinet and shelves, a coat stand, a full length mirror, a camera, and a pile of brand new CDs. Ingenious!

The down-side of this escapade was when we were climbing back over the balcony, April felt something land on her shoulder, and when we looked up, we saw 2 grinning boys who looked about 20, spitting on us from the 10th floor! Can you believe it? Don't worry, Wally yelled at them. (Wally is a lovely middle aged man who tends to the apartment and its property, and he would probably take a bullet for us. He is a fatherly figure who is constantly looking out for us. Good ol' Wally!)

PS My Third room mate is the lovely Jenna, who is as white and non-bilingual as me. She does however, speak the language of art in a very beautiful way, and you should see her colourful bedroom!

11 Comments:

Blogger bri and shawn said...

hi hannah!
let me tell you that my husband and his brother have been known to go on an outing they fondly call "dumpster diving" (no they don't wear scuba gear) but they do dress in dark and wear touques. these jaunts usually take place behind big box stores, where fabulous things often are thrown out for no particular reason! I highly recommend it to the daring likes of you and your crazy roomates/cousin!
second note: i have read both of those books and they are BOTH on my most favourite list. great procrastinating choices!
great to read of your antics! keep up the good work!!
much love to you, my southern ontario friend

9:14 a.m.  
Blogger Bethybu said...

Hello there mad-lovely-hatter!

I hape you enjoy that book now- it certainly has its provocative momments. I wish I could cycle from adventure to adventure with you! I have a new pink bike with basket which I got a downright bargin for on EBAY- yay!

You would love my course- lots of reading and writing- but alot a lot of playing!

chat soon,

ps- the blue (colour of sky) way much better than brown (colour of poo) for your blog-format! just my humble opinion!

1:42 p.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

I love the new format. Next time, just go into the template and copy and paste all of the HTML codes into Notepad...hahaha...I made the mistake too last time I re-did my blog. You know that you can totally personalize your blog's backgrounds via changing the codes, eh? If you ever want to get creative, let me know...lol! :)

As for your farting adventure, you guys are so funny. For some reason, there are tons of females who can't appreciate a good toot...or in many cases, a total rip.

By the way, have you and Adam watched last year's show yet? I know he's looking forward to it...hmmm...however embarrassing, maybe we could watch it together and break out some hot cocoa and cookies to go along with the Xmas theme...mmmm....cocoa and cookies!

Anyway, I have to go. Take care and I'll see you on Thursday night!

Amy

3:35 p.m.  
Blogger Candice said...

Hi Hannah!
Honestly, I wouldn't dare try your escapade unless someone convinced me to do it... it would be something I could see as very potentially fun though! And hearing about it is hilarious! One of the ladies I work with right now dressed up in a balloon-ballerina outfit (as big as a sumo-wrestler) while at the gym today. One guy walking past exclaimed "you're fat!" It was too funny. She was mimicking people working out and immensely exaggerating the effort needed to do any of the work outs, even proceeding to sit down in the middle of the staircase because she was just "too tired." I didn't stop laughing in the whole time! She told me today to never stop laughing in life. Sometimes I think I take things way too seriously and can't honestly laugh at funny things... but her words of wisdom are very wise!

PS I like both the blue and brown.
PPS Have you heard of laughter yoga? It's one of the funniest concepts I've every heard of! They pretty much force laughter until everyone is naturally laughing.

12:48 a.m.  
Blogger Kyle Turner said...

Hannah Price? giving up pranks escapades and all around mischief? Even for a day? Well, I must say I never thought I'd see the day. Well, good luck on your exams and what not m'lady, I certainly can relate to your predicament there. Well, have a glorious week.

3:07 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For those who didn't know, Hannah has a fourth roommate who is white and can speak random bits of French, Swahili and Finnish. She also reads fluently in a British accent and will read Shakespeare outloud in this accent if she thinks no one is around. You might not see her when you visit the apartment but I assure you, she is there.

11:53 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,
Your life sounds facinating at the moment....I can think of nothing better than getting free furniture etc!! I've spent many a fond hour trawling through the skips of sheffield. It's been most amusing catching up on your recent adventures.
Colin (remember me?)

1:23 p.m.  
Blogger Hannah said...

Col!!
SOO excited to hear from you, but you didn't tell me how to get in touch with you, you goofball! E-mail me at hannah61183uk@yahoo.co.uk and then I can reply. LOTS OF LOVE!!
Hannah xx

10:19 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah
I tried sending a message to your E-mail and it was returned. My address is cebtaylor@hotmail.co.uk. Talk to you soon!!
Love Colin

1:18 a.m.  
Blogger Bethybu said...

Hannah

I have just spent 40 mins (that I should be have been preparing a presentation) looking at all your 100's of online pics

(hey there other blog cowboys- I highly recommend you check them out!)

I am exhausted now as feel like I have been to cumbria, zambia and canada on a flying tour! They were lovely and made me miss you even more-
ps you must have the danciest sparkliest blue eyes

6:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah
I keep on sending you E-mails and they bounce back. Either your deliberately blocking me or your address is naff!! Please send me a different address so I can communicate with thee.
Colin
PS for all blog readers I've known Hannah since she was five and she used to change the rules of the famous Lurkey game when she was losing!

3:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home