Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Island life.

I've been sitting here trying to upload some pictures onto here, but am not successful. I hate Macs! Anyway, sorry for the lack of visual images, but I will still attempt to highlight a few things that have been going on here.
I can't believe I'm almost half way through! It's going far too fast. Whenever I am at Capernwray Harbour, I always want it to last forever. It's my favourite place in North America, and definitely in the top five list for world favourites.
In case you don't know, Capernwray Harbour, Thetis Island (one of the gulf islands in British Columbia) is where I am for 6 weeks at the moment. It is where I spent a year at bible school in 02-03, and this is my third summer on staff. I am working with the teenagers, in six consecutive family camp weeks. I work with a great guy, Dan Bjorn, from Germany, and we make a good team and balance each other out pretty well. We've had some wonderful and interesting kids to spend time with, teach, and learn from. We get to do lots of high energy activities with them such as ropes courses, the screamer (a 40 foot pole that you climb to the top of and jump off for a trapeze), overnight campounts under the stars and lots of water sports and swimming. It's absolutely stunning here, surrounded by mountains and ocean and forest. I love the staff that I get to work with, and in many ways this is my spiritual reference point, and so to be back here is really allowing me to clarify my mind and heart.

Some highlights from the past three weeks:

*When a 7 year old boy peed all over me after I told him he had to wait a minute before going to the bathroom.

"When Amie (one of my BESTEST friends) and I went for ice cream at the marina and met Derek: the guy who knows EVERYTHING. (seriously)

*When Sam crashed the golf cart into a window and it fell out of the wall and smashed everywhere.

*When I am whizzing around on the speed boat with my hair flying everywhere, soaking up the sun and the beauty.

*When Katherine and I saw two seals mating in the water.

*When I get to sit on the end of the dock alone and watch the sun set.

*When we went to Victoria and flew one-hundred-dollar kites.

*Spending time with people here, like Amie.

*When 6 year old Deseree decided to walk down the dock with her eyes closed and walked straight off the edge, caught on camera by her father.

*When kids from previous summers come back and are really excited to see me.

*When I played Mafia for the seventieth time with last weeks group of teenagers.

*When I eat Bear-Claw flavoured ice-cream.

*The phosphoresence. (AMAZING. It is a chemical reaction in the ocean at night, and when you stir a stick in the water everything sparkles and shimmers like magical golden fairy dust!! You have to see it to believe it. It's incredible)

There you go...a few insights into summertime on Thetis Island...pictures to follow soon.

18 Comments:

Blogger Zabrina said...

Hey...it was really good seeing you again last week. I am glad to hear that you're enjoying yourself and allowing Christ to work in and through you. Take care!

1:24 p.m.  
Blogger Beth said...

i forgot about the phosphoresence...it was magical..sigh...i miss the island...having lots of adventures here..email me sometime again...God is teaching me things...I love you! xoxo

12:15 p.m.  
Blogger Brad and Samantha said...

we wish we were there!!! great place and great memeories. hope you fun this weekend with kyla and amanda!! say to the staff for us.

12:40 a.m.  
Blogger Andzine said...

glad to hear things are going amazing there. but we haven't kept in touch like we said we would.

4:12 p.m.  
Blogger Bethybu said...

hey lovie, thanks for your comments- no pranks! how horrible! i'm sure you can squeeze a little one out! check out my latest post for inspiration!

sounds like you are having a divine time- I am looking forward to one day meeting Amie- It sounds like we would get along, and we both think that hanging out with you is the bees-knees!

9:21 p.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

Hi! It's so nice to hear that your summer is going well. I googled that phosphoresence thing...I had no idea that could happen! God's creation of science is so cool. It (and He) never ceases to amaze me.

Anywho, take care and see you when you get back!

God bless,
Amy

6:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Katherine and I saw two seals mating in the water.

I think this should have said
When Katherine Alex and I saw two seals mating in the water after a afternoon of fishing/suntanning and Alex let me and katherine drive his nice boat

2:37 a.m.  
Blogger Kyle Turner said...

Hann, I had a god laugh at many of your "soup du jour" comments there. Did you really get peed on? that's unfortunate. Well, so much sad news, but I doubt I'll be making it out to the island in what remains of this summer. I guess there is a small chance that Jayden may come out to visit me and maybe even both of us would mosey on down, but again, not sure how likely that is. Still it is nice to dream. I know I've been really lame with the whole blogging thing lately but I am reading them more, and I even posted anew on my OPJ, just to let you know. Anywho, talk to you soon HP sauce (to steal a line from Dave).

1:29 p.m.  
Blogger Bethybu said...

Actually spiderkyle, you would be stealing the line from me...

but I keep short accounts...

4:45 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola fine friend...it sounds like your having a freak'n amazing time! Cant wait to hear more about in the fall--*jenna

8:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear you're having a good time!

12:55 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing a part of your summer. So glad you are having the time of your life, my friend. Miss you much, Tracey xox

10:07 p.m.  
Blogger kinderwerk said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hannah! Love your blog about Capernwray! :P Thanks for everything! I had a great time there and hope to go back sometime... We're probably going to Capernwray Hall next year! :D
Email me: elseharting@yahoo.com! Love, Else

3:13 p.m.  
Blogger kinderwerk said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:13 p.m.  
Blogger kinderwerk said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:15 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Companies that are moving hair spray skin pigmentation loss Adipexdrug+addiction+order+phentermine Ticor title insurance Statute of limitations in medical malpractice Meridia katowice http://www.online-bingo-3.info/5-evolution-patch-pro-soccer.html Coffee and espresso makers la marzocco

7:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Discount travel insurance us pee Propecia semen Craps oklahoma silk flowers Tooth whitening zoom laser san antonio texas Site www.tradeshowdirect.com hepa air purifiers Truck rental in el segundo ca california Miami beach rhinoplasty lopid and zocor gangbang Arizona alpine oak water bed fix omega watches car alarm systems 2w nutritional supplements Clifford security system

10:21 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home