Thursday, June 08, 2006

Silence on the Subway.

The subway is so wierd. Seriously. People may as well be in coffins on it. Everyone acts like they are dead, or at least lifeless. Yesterday I sat in close proximity to all the people in my section of the carriage, and I really wanted just to start playing a game of "would you rather" or "telephone" or something with them all, but if you so much as smile at someone they think you are stalking them! If people would just let loose we could have all been friends by the time I got off at Sheppard station! We are meant for community, it is natural to interact and engage with one another. Everyone just sits there looking down or reading a book or staring into space. It's so sad. It's so unnatural. City life.

The wierd and cool thing was, on Sunday I was downtown for the global day of prayer, and after it was finished, thousands of Christians poured out of the stadium and over to the subway, and we were all chatting and mingling, hanging out on the subway...even though we were strangers! It was really great and a lot more natural.
When did we become so inhibited?

12 Comments:

Blogger Candice said...

It's so true. The neatest times are when I find someone who also wants to talk about things and we have awesome conversations (although very short-lived ones). People often seem to brighten up as soon as someone starts a conversation, or even just asks how their day was.

12:57 p.m.  
Blogger Candice said...

It's so true. The neatest times are when I find someone who also wants to talk about things and we have awesome conversations (although very short-lived ones). People often seem to brighten up as soon as someone starts a conversation, or even just asks how their day was.

12:58 p.m.  
Blogger Candice said...

oops....sorry about the doubles! :o)

1:03 p.m.  
Blogger David said...

I find for the most part that subways are a very somber thing. For instances the subway could be a metaphor for the process in which death overtakes life...a tunnel...like the tunnel of death in most afterlife expierences, perhaps, but yet its to bad hannah because we had a rather fun time in the subway during the two days of ministry training in which we had the whole train cheering and wondering in amazement at those whoe were battle one foot stances.

9:55 p.m.  
Blogger Hofman said...

It's true, I often think the same things. Since coming back from Africa thought I find myself striking up conversation with all sorts of people...it's really fun!
Thanks for listening to me this weekend. I love you!

9:58 p.m.  
Blogger Bethybu said...

I can see where you are coming from... but sometimes one craves silence, everyone is always trying to sell you something in leeds, and Drew and I always try to out-talk each other. Thus the bus is my special time of solitude.
In milan there is always a bloke playing an accordian or something on the sub- which made the journey quite atmospheric.

Hey! I sent you something- so look out for the postman.

1:32 p.m.  
Blogger Drewfasa said...

I think people are quiet because they are coming home (or going to) jobs they hate, and that is compounded with the fact that life basically sucks (really, it mostly does).

1:37 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is Andrew? Well, I've quite the lengthy blog to explain it all...it's up now. Hahahaha...sigh. Why is it that this whole guy thing is so complicated?

Amy

12:28 a.m.  
Blogger Bethybu said...

Hey lovie- sorry I keep missing you on MSN- It always comes on by itself when I am out. I am at my parents this weekend- if you are free and can email me a landline number I can call you on sun night.We are long due for a big chat x

You have been on my mind so much this week, and drew and I have prayed often for you.

5:15 p.m.  
Blogger Bethybu said...

actually I never went home- too broke! so do you want to meet on MSN?

6:52 p.m.  
Blogger Amie said...

see you in a couple of days !!!

6:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » »

6:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home