Friday, December 16, 2005

A Beautiful Zambian Child

This is Mehetabel (pronounced "Martabell") She is 11 years old and live in Ndola Zambia...

This is her story.....

I first found Mehetabel walking along the dry dusty road one day in the heat of the midday African sun. I stopped and did a double take, never had I seen a child so thin before. I was terrified her legs were going to snap if she took another step. At the time I was with Phil, a wonderful guy who was heading up the Orphan program at Isubilo. (http://www.isubilo.org) We went over to the child, and she took us back to her home..a tiny shack in the back of another hut, with a large hole in the roof through which the rains constantly came (it was rainy season) She lived with her mother and three sisters; their father had just died..of AIDS. We quickly enrolled Mehetabel and her family onto the program, and soon found out that she had both HIV and TB. this child suffers more than almost anyone I know, and yet I have never met a human being so serene and peaceful. Cheesy as this may sound, she's the closest thing to an angel that I've ever met. Today I just wanted you to meet her, and celebrate her with me. She's beautiful, and she's alive and smiling...and what an impact she has. Pray for her today if you feel like doing so. Posted by Picasa