Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Least of These...

I've applied for a 4 month internship in Sierra Leone with a wonderful community called Word Made Flesh. It runs from August to December, and I'll find out on April 5th whether I got accepted.
I'm also heading back to Zambia in July, for a very exciting project which I'll talk about on this blog soon!
This being said, I've been reading and meditating and learning so much over the past year about what it means to live in community with the poor, to be broken and share life together, and how Christ manifests himself to us in the opressed and vulnerable and marginalized, in order that they might lead us to the heart of God. I've written on this topic here before, but below are some thoughts. I didn't write them, but I absolutely agree with them, and will wrestle more along these lines soon..


WHAT THE POOR HAVE TO TEACH US:
* They know how deep our world needs redemption.
* They rest their security not on things but on people
* They have no exaggerated sense of their own importance and no exaggerated need of privacy.
* They expect little from competition and much from cooperation.
* They can distinguish between necessities and luxuries.
* They are patient, because they have known dependence.
* Their fears are more realistic and less exaggerated, because they already know that one can survive great suffering and want.
* They can respond to Jesus with an abandonment and uncomplicated totality-- because they have little left to lose.

4 Comments:

Blogger lo said...

i'm excited for the stories... excited to stay tuned... and am seeking much with the Lord about these same issues these days... can't wait to hear more of what you are up to!!
hope you are swell young lady!

9:40 a.m.  
Blogger Smash said...

Hannah!
I finally figured out how to get back onto my blog- yay!
Anyway, I really enjoyed reading those ideas about the poor- I have read a little about that subject myself- mostly Mother Theresa and Blessed Frédéric Ozanam, founder of the St Vincent de Paul Society- he once said that the poor are such a precious spiritual gift to us that if there should cease to be poor people, he would dig up their bones in order to do good to them and honour them (???!)
Very interesting, and I think very central to the reality of the gospel... although we've tended to seperate out giving to and blessing the poor as "extra credit" or something.
Well, before I convict myself any more seriously (I can't say that I've been all that diligent to seek out and bless the poor!) I think I'll go.
But blessings to you- it is exciting just to read about your travels and adventures!

3:48 p.m.  
Blogger zzyytt said...

hermes outlet online
off white clothing
fila shoes
fitflops sale clearance
chrome hearts outlet
golden goose outlet
moncler
nike air vapormax
golden goose starter
nba jerseys

11:40 p.m.  
Blogger zzyytt said...

hermes belts
yeezy boost 350 v2
adidas superstar
michael kors factory outlet
vans shoes
timberland outlet
kobe 9
converse shoes
huaraches
goyard online

11:40 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home